Dragonfly is very sensory-motivated, so I intend to change our salt box frequently to make it more appealing to her. For the first few weeks of fall, I created an "apple pie" box, since apple pie is one of her favorite things.
Apple Pie Salt Tray Recipe
- 1/4 cup salt
- brown gel food coloring
- a few drops of water
- 2T cinnamon
- 1tsp nutmeg
- a sprinkle of ginger
1) Put the salt in a bowl. Put some brown food coloring on a spoon and add a few drops of water. Mix into the salt.
2) Add the spices and stir well. Dump into your salt tray and cover until class time.
Other "flavors" of salt boxes
- Christmas tree (evergreen essential oil and green food coloring- write with a stick)
- Winter Delight (plain salt and silver glitter)
- Candy Cane (peppermint essential oil and red food coloring- write with a candy cane)
- Fairy Tray (lavender oil, purple food coloring, and glitter)
- Chocolate (cocoa powder and brown food coloring)
- Orange Zest (orange oil and orange food coloring)
- Gingerbread (here)
- Latte (coffee grounds)
- Lemonade (lemon oil and yellow food coloring)
- Sickness Blend (Eucalyptus and green food coloring)
- Pumpkin Pie (pumpkin pie spice and orange food coloring)
- and basically any other theme you can think up!