Do you need an easy DIY for a preschooler present? Know how to use a glue gun? Then, you can make this cute, simple game. Best of all, it's nut-free, gluten-free, and sugar-free!
- 4 pieces of purple felt
- 4 pieces of tan/light brown felt
- bread slice template (here)
- wood cube (I bought mine at the Dollar Tree)
- freezer paper
- glue gun
- scissors, hot glue sticks, clothes iron, pen/pencil
- metal tin for storage (I bought mine at Walmart)
I saw the idea for this game on Homeketeers and thought it was a great idea. Since I did my game a bit differently though, I thought I'd post my own DIY.
1) Print template from the website. You may need to play around with the sizing to get a "slice" that fits in your tin lunch box. Or you can draw one free hand.
2) Place a piece of freezer paper (I found mine with the tin foil, etc, at Walmart) over the printed template, paper side up, and trace the bread slice 4 times.
3) Iron the freezer paper onto the cream felt, taking care not to scorch your felt. Cut out slices but don't throw away your templates yet.
4) Cut out 4 more slices, using the freezer paper templates.
5) Cut out a "blob" to use for the jelly and/or the peanut butter. Iron it onto the tan or purple felt and cut out. Make a total of 4. Repeat process for the other condiment (peanut butter or jelly).
6) Using the glue gun, attach one slice of bread onto a solid sheet of cream felt. Cut around the slice to make a double-thick piece. Do this process for all the pieces, each with their own color (see picture).
7) Glue scrap pieces of felt onto the wood block to make a die (2 squares of each color).
8) Put all the pieces in a metal lunch box to store until game time.
Each player is trying to build their own PBJ sandwich. The players take turns rolling the die and picking up the pieces that match the color they roll. If a player rolls a color that s/he doesn't need, then the player doesn't collect any pieces that round. The game is won when one player has a complete sandwich- 2 pieces of bread, 1 blob of jelly, and 1 blog of peanut butter.
Hope you enjoy!